Thursday, May 27, 2010

Day Four TWWS


Thursday 27 May 2010, 4:45 AM. With the windows open can really hear the dawn chorus, with robin and cardinal soloists. Got out a little earlier today, about 5:18. Some streetlights were still on. This is an advantage of cycling over swimming, at least for these two weeks: one doesn’t have to wait for the pool to open. The weather is remarkably similar to how it’s been the previous three days: partly cloudy and lovely.

Early in the ride was greeted by a strong fragrance like honeysuckle, I think it was linden, which is in bloom now. Took me back to the day I came by myself on the Greyhound bus to register as a freshman at the U of I, (4 June, 1974), which, completely coincidentally, was also the day a relative from Poland whom I had never met was in town for a conference on the effects of wind on tall buildings. (I am not making this up.) My aunt gave this relative and me a ride back to Chicago… How easy it is to get lost in one’s thoughts, even on such a beautiful morning.

The Meadowbrook loop was less novel today, but speeding toward the rabbit statue and clattering over the bridge before the sharp turn to the left is always a little thrill. The violet-blue spiderwort (Tradescantia, which sounds more fittingly regal) were, if possible, even more glorious than yesterday. Made me think of bluebonnets in Texas. Tradescantia rules the prairie. Oh, yes, there is also the penstemon, like snow in places.

After the loop headed north on Vine Street to Washington Street. Noticed a tree, which turned out to be an ash (how long before it succumbs to the emerald ash-borer?) in Blair Park with a hollow up the length of its trunk that seemed to almost split it in two.

Realized, sniffling slightly, that in the pool, one doesn’t have to (can’t) blow one’s nose. But don’t want to think too much about that.

Headed east on Washington, across Rte. 130, where it becomes a lovely, quiet, narrow country road with no shoulder. Lots of goat’s beard. Also a tall umbel with white flowers, and sweet clover (Melilotus, there’s a lovely name.)

Unlike previous days, didn’t whiff any trace of skunk.

Encountered a few people in vehicles, to whom I would nod; some of these gave the raised index finger salute. (I remember, as a Chicagoan first venturing out in the country as a field biologist, how extraordinary this greeting of strangers seemed.) Something different between being at the pool and outside is that everyone at the pool is there for a similar reason; outside we are doing a lot of different things.

Rode to the end of Washington Street (no dogs!) and turned back. Couldn’t resist turning north on Cottonwood Rd. and daring my bad sense of direction to confuse me. But retraced my path and got back ok, 6:40. Good thing I don’t have to work this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment